Tuesday, August 02, 2005

I have always been this way



Recently, while preparing my TEOTWAWKI closet, I pulled out my old backpack to see if there was anything survival worthy therein. The last time I even looked in this pack was before I moved to San Francisco seven years ago. I found my old canteen, some woolen socks, some interlocking silverware and this gem, “Outdoor Survival Skills” by Larry Dean Olsen. As I sat there, thumbing through this book, I let out a chuckle, and had to acknowledge that I had always been this way - the survivalist Indian/Tarzan wannabe.

This was one of my favorite books in high school. This copy, printed in 1976, includes a foreword by Robert Redford who had recently completed “Jeremiah Johnson. I do not remember how I came across it originally, but I remember committing a lot of it to memory. I was wondering about that great book I used to have, which taught how to make bows and arrows, snares, shelter and fire from things found in nature. I assumed I had given it away but it seems that it was with me all along.

It makes sense now why I turned on like a lighthouse when I read my first well-written article on Peak Oil; I had preprogrammed myself to fall into survival mode. Perhaps it was more likely that I realized how lazy I had become and felt the need to brush up immediately.

I remember the energy crisis of the 70’s and my coveted subscription to Mother Earth News. I remember my plans to build an earth bermed/passive solar house and a biodynamic French intensive garden. I remember building a homemade net-hammock and rigging it, dozens of feet off the ground in a tall oak out in the backyard, just so I could sleep in the treetops. (I remember it not being very comfortable at all either!)

Now here we are on the brink of another energy crisis, only this time, no falling asleep at the wheel.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice work. Very intersting answers to Peak Oil. Good work, keep it up!

Luis Peakoiler

8/09/2005 3:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home